Last week my team put the finishing touches on some updates to the Windows Azure Platform Training Kit that we’ve had in the works for a few months. The release went live on the Microsoft download center today.
You can download the updated Windows Azure Platform Training Kits from here.
If you’re not familiar with the Windows Azure Platform Training Kit, it is essentially a collection of hands-on labs, presentations, and demos that are designed to help you learn how to use the Windows Azure platform including Windows Azure, SQL Azure, and the Windows Azure AppFabric. Our Technical Evangelism team at Microsoft builds training kits for almost every key technology including Visual Studio 2010 and the .NET Framework 4, Windows Phone 7, Silverlight 4, SQL Server 2008 R2, and so on.
What’s new in this release?
With this release of the Windows Azure Platform Training Kit we first decided to split up the training kit into two separate versions – one for Visual Studio 2010 and another for Visual Studio 2008. We actually branched the kit back in mid August. Moving forward we will only be updating content and building new content for Visual Studio 2010. This decision was based on several factors including the size of the kits (combined they’re over 331MB compressed) and the test surface (we were testing 4 different combinations of languages, frameworks, and tools).
The September release is a huge update. Here’s what’s new in the training kit:
- Updated all of the presentations to provide content for delivering a 3 day training workshop on the Windows Azure Platform.
- Updated all hands-on labs and demo scripts for Visual Studio 2010, the .NET Framework 4, and the Windows Azure Tools for Visual Studio version 1.2 release.
- Added three new hands-on labs including:
- Introduction to the AppFabric Access Control Service (September 2010 Labs Release)
- Debugging Applications in Windows Azure
- Asynchronous Workload Handling
- Added a new exercise to the "Deploying Applications in Windows Azure" hands-on lab to show how to use the new tools to directly deploy from Visual Studio 2010.
- Added a new exercise to the "Introduction to the AppFabric Service Bus" hands-on lab to show how to connect a WCF Service in IIS 7.5 to the Service Bus
- Updated the "Introduction to AppFabric Service Bus" hands-on lab based on feedback and split the lab into 2 parts
- Updated the training kit navigation pages to include a 3 day agenda, a change log, and an improved setup process for hands-on labs.
I hope you find this release helpful. Is there someone else you would like to see in the training kit? Are you using the training kit today to learn how to use the Windows Azure Platform? Do you have other suggestions for improving the content? We would love to hear from you. Just leave me a comment or drop the team an email with your feedback.